Saturday 5 October 2013

Starlight, star bright.

I've had a bit of alone time recently, and contrary to popular belief, I've actually quite enjoyed it, but it has given me time to think!!

I've used my time very unwisely, instead of doing the million things I needed to do, I did the one thing that any self respecting girl on her own would do- I curled up on the sofa with a drink, some ice cream and a couple of DVDs, ahhhh heaven. With toddler asleep and husband away, what else is a girl to do? I indulged in an old love, Sex and the City!! It's been a while.
Now you think you know where this is going, and maybe you're all not dirty minded so you might be right. While the film focuses mainly on sex and love, there is always the subtext 'Friendship', and it has got me thinking about my friendships and about what friendship really is.

A while ago I wrote a little bit about how my friends are like stars, my reason to look up when I'm feeling so down, and that hasn't changed. My true friends really are like stars, precious and beautiful and priceless. But like stars, friends come in catagories.

Firstly, there is the Class O star, the rarest and most luminescent of all the stars. The friendship equivalent is a best friend, that 1 in a million person who knows you so well they can read your soul. The person who can tell you the truth even if it hurts, the person who is always there no matter if they think you are wrong or right. This is the person who picks up the pieces when you are broken, carefully puts them back together again with gentleness and kindness and then tells you to get your arse in gear and get over yourself! This is the person who knows all your secrets, but who's lips will forever remain sealed without judgement (well maybe just an incy wincy bit of judgement!!) My best friend really is the brightest star, even when her faith in herself wanes, she still shines bright to guide me. And dare I step out of line, she will go supernova on me!!!! I love her beauty, her intelligence, her humour and her ability to make others feel better. My only wish is that we lived closer, who knew a southerner and a northerner could become such good friends???? Aye aye aye lol

The next class of star is A (I'm not doing this in order of star catagory, rather friend catagory). Class A is 'among the more common naked eye stars' (Wikipedia's words, not mine). Class  A friends are not 'common' in that sense, but they are the easiest to see, my close friends I surround myself with, the ones I can rely on, who I know will be there for me. These friends are special, if the were an M&S (careful to put those to letters the right way round otherwise gives whole different meaning to these friends!!!!) advert, it would say 'these aren't just any friends, these are specially hand picked friends. Vibrant and full of colour'. These are friends who make me laugh, who lend a hand, who tell me stories of their adventures or share their woes. Everyday I am grateful for their existence, as they make everyday that much easier to cope with. Just knowing they are there makes all the difference.

Class B stars are bright but burn quickly. These are friends that are in the past, not forgotten, but who time has separated from us. Friendships that, while great and beneficial at the time, were for some reason unsustainable. Their friendship may have past, but their impact is still visible. For everyone we ever come into contact with leaves a lasting impression, as do we on them!

Then there is the G class, the most famous of these being our sun. The friendship equivalent is that person who thinks the world revolves around them. We all know someone like that, or used to. Maybe they were someone you tolerated, or maybe a 'frenemy'. Sometimes these friends can be useful, you can learn from their mistakes. I often wonder if that friend is me??? I hope not, I hope I'm not that selfish. Yes I can be a bit 'in my own head', but I like to think I'm there for others too! I hope it's just the ocd encouraging those thoughts and not the fact I've turned into a class G pain in the arse!!

And then there are fake stars, you know, shooting stars. Turns out they're not stars after all, just hurtling bits of rock pretending to be stars. Isn't it funny that when we see one we make a wish? 'Oh a shooting star, make a wish', pinning your wish to a fake, to a piece of space debris that is burning up in the atmosphere into nothingness. The fake friend, smiling all the time they are stabbing you in the back. We shall call them Debris friends, because that's what they are, rubbish. It's a shame that we are disillusioned to it, too busy ohhing and ahhing at the prettiness of it till it is too late.

I wonder which star you all think you are?? I know who is who, I know which ones of you shine and bring light into my life. You are my friends, part of my soul, no matter how much influence you think you have on my life, no matter whether you think you're a good friend or not, if I've chosen you to be, and remain, friends, then there must be something rather special about you. Each of you bring something different into my life, each of you are unique. I feel very lucky to have the friends I have. It makes all the difference in the world!!

Even when you can't see them, stars are always there, surrounding us. So twinkle on my beautiful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment